Tuesday, July 24, 2007

The Well

I crawl,
Parched, Starved, Thirsty
In vast barren desert land
with no sight of humans,
Nor animal, domestic or wild
Nor any shady tree to rest under.
The scorching sun, my sole company
burning my back, cracking my skin,
Peeling of those once soft
silken layers of grace....

I gather my last reserves for a final surge,
lift myself on the shaking arms, to see afar
As afar as these sand ladden eyes can;
To find a drop of water, my only hope
My searching eyes fix on that well
Old and deserted since ages it seems
Far like continents that I once wanted to win
A rush of energy runs through my veins,
hope perhaps;
And I crawl faster.....

Time passes like minutes,
which actually I guess are days
I reach that well,
Cling on to the walls,
as hope pulls me up, makes me stand
And then walks away
The well stares at me,
Dry and empty.......

Hope betrayed, Endurance gives way
and I fall back on ground,
famished, destroyed........

Ages pass and I dont leave that well
For I dont have the strength to move on
The fear of loosing again
makes me cling to that empty well
Even though i know fully
That it would never bear water
I still cling on it,
from an unreasoned, unsatisfying hope;

And then I see that angel coming...

She holds my hand, that gentle touch
She smiles at me, lifts me up
Nurses me, feeds my hunger
Makes me stand firm again
I begin to live again
I feel human again.
And just when I want her even more,
When my need for her crosses the limitless sky
When I get used to those soft tender hands
She takes her hands away
History repeats itself,
And I go back to where it all began.
Even though she walks away
That dry, empty well remains....

No comments: